Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wmbjkREMOVE@citlink.net is offline

Default OT - frustrated and baffled over garage door springs

On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:26:51 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. I thought I might convert
to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. All I could find was
the springs themselves, and various other parts. No complete installation
package. And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours' worth.

You can probably put together what you need from parts if you're
willing to wade through the advice given here
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it. What
about if you wanted to build your own door? You'd think that you could
get a kit SOMEWHERE.

You could hook up with a friendly installer. Look for a hungry one-man
operation. It's unfortunate, but the door distributors have good
reason to be wary of selling to amateurs. Not only do they have to
worry about being sued for errant springs, but even of the customer
tripping on a carpet edge on his way into the store.

One of my favorite recent stories
http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/ar...dwich/19423893

Notice that he *didn't* sue, which might bring a tear to your eye and
make you feel at bit like you've stepped far enough back in time to
see the last wild bison.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that I
got ones that went with each other. And, of course, paying a premium over
what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

Join the garage-door-spring baffled. Beware torsion springs. They are
killers to install unless you're an expert.

Nah. If you hire it out the job will likely be done by a couple of 20
year olds who learned most of what they know in their first week. So
how hard can it be? I've done a bunch of them, no big deal really.
Although the type of people who've fallen off a crooked ladder, or
lopped off a finger with a radial arm saw, or accidentally started a
mower while cleaning the blade, shouldn't mess with overhead doors
either. :-)

Some tips -

Winding or unwinding those things requires two levers. I put a spare
in my back pocket. Same thing for the wrench to tighten the clamping
bolts.

Use proper-fitting levers, and don't get careless when inserting them
into the sockets. Work methodically.

Make sure you're standing on a stable ladder. If you notice your arms
getting tired from working out of position, then back up and reset.

Use vise grips to trap the tube in position to keep the lift cables
snug before you start winding.

Do a bunch of Web searching before installing.

Good advice, but heeding it might unnecessarily scare people into
hiring a pro. :-) rant mode on What we ought to be scared of is
hastening the death of DIY.

Anyway, this page http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm is really well
done even if it does contain a lot more info than is required to
install a new door.

Wayne