Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:28:22 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 16/05/2010 22:07, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:42:40 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 15/05/2010 23:02, js.b1 wrote:
On May 15, 10:03 pm, wrote:
What you need is a reciprocating saw with a demolition blade.
It is one long blade (not two, like the other post implied),
that goes back and forth like a handsaw.

I think there are 2 types...
- Alligator saw - double blades like a hedge trimmer
- Demolition saw - single blade that just pumps away

There are a few variations:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/recipsaw.htm

Checked out that page and have even more tool-envy. I've never seen
a Scorpion saw in the US, either.g [and searches of B& D's US site
don't show it]

Ah, well I *had* one of those. Took me ages to find someone to give it
away too! ;-)

A bit like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker.../dp/B00032II4A

Only in England you say???
Pity!! (NOT)

They seem to be very popular, but I can't understand why! I can only
assume they are bought by infrequent DIYers who have not had the chance
to use a proper recip saw or a decent jigsaw.

They have a very short stroke, and fairly fine teeth so cut very slowly.
They use B&D single source blades that are expensive. They vibrate
excessively. The larger saw looking blade tends to set up side to side
vibration so much that the end tends to hack a wide trench out of the
wood rather than cutting it. It has a jigsaw mode where it behaves just
like the worst jigsaw you have ever used only not as well.