Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G. Denis G. is offline

Default OT - frustrated and baffled over garage door springs

On May 16, 8:27*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
My overhead garage doors use extension springs. *I thought I might
convert to torsion springs and looked on the web for a kit. *All I could
find was the springs themselves, and various other parts. *No complete
installation package. *And I did a LOT of searching - probably 2 hours'
worth.

This is strange - my conclusion is that the installation package comes
with the door (tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, etc) and that's it.
What about if you wanted to build your own door? *You'd think that you
could get a kit SOMEWHERE.

It looks like I would have to buy all the parts separately - hoping that
* I got ones that went with each other. *And, of course, paying a
premium over what a package/kit would cost.

Frustrated and baffled,
Bob

If you haven't seen it, Richard Kinch has an excellent article on his
adventures with garage door torsion springs: http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm