Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:28:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote the following:

Lobster formulated on Sunday :
What's the travel like on the blades of those saws? I certainly have a need
for a rough'n ready powered saw for that sort of use, but had always thought
they looked a bit too small, and Alligator-types were a bit OTT/out of my
price range. But taking out a 12" tree sounds reasonably impressive...

Travel is about 2" and the blade was 9" long, so I had to cut from
three sides to get all the way through.

All three sides of that round tree, Harry? chortle

My 2-decade old Remington chainsaw nearly bit the dust last week when
I let a rental worker (needed an extra body for digging out those
pampas grass clusters) use it. It had been cracked already, but the
bar and chain now bounce around a 7" arc at the tip. It still works,
and I cut down 2 dozen hedge trunks with it, but it's on its last leg.
Hmm, what to replace it with...maybe a chainsaw-on-a-pole.

--
Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
-- Andre Gide