Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/05/2010 02:15, DanG wrote:

Your mind is made up so I know this is a waste of time. Your wild
ass statement about a diamond blade kicking back and cutting a
man's neck is pure hyperbola, fiction, and prevarication. A

Hardly - a quick google will show that angle grinder fatalities are not
uncommon. In fact a builder died at a junior school local to me a few
years ago as a result of copping a diamond blade to the neck. He bled to
death on the scene in front of his son before medical help could get
there.

Granted not all of these are the direct results of kickback as such - but
some form of loss of control of the tool or falling onto is typically the
cause.

diamond blade would be very hard pressed to cut your hand if you
ran it into your hand at full speed. They do an excellent job

There is good Makita safety video that quite nicely demonstrates the
common lower leg injuries that occur when a grinder with diamond blade
hits a typical bit of meat under clothing.

cutting really hard things like glass and tile, they really suck
on anything else.

Just because something is sub optimal for cutting flesh, does not mean it
won't.

I have no idea what an alligator saw is. I've been in the
commercial contracting business for over 50 years so please
enlighten me as I may need one some day.

Its a reciprocating saw with twin counter moving blades.

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/p...s/catno/DW390/

You may not be strong enough to hang onto a grinder when the blade
hits something, be it a tree root or whatever, but I sure as hell
am and have done so, though that is NOT the object when using the
tool.

Rather than continuing the willy waving, perhaps we can agree that an
angle grinder is not the tool for this job and leave it at that?

The reason most us have said to not use the grinder with a blade
has much more to do with the OP's opening line which said that he
was not experienced. Let it alone.

I really hate it when people babble and pontificate about things
of which they have no experience. If you have information or
experience to share, have at: otherwise, sit back and listen
(read).

Perhaps you might care to review some of these: (Warning, some of these
are graphic)

http://www.head-face-med.com/content/4/1/1
http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/liverpool/trauma/45m.html
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225820724743
http://www.citizen.co.za/index/artic...sc=122382,1,22

--

Here's one nearly done in by his digital video camera ..