Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:40:27 +0100, John Rumm
wrote the following:

On 17/05/2010 02:15, DanG wrote:

Your mind is made up so I know this is a waste of time. Your wild
ass statement about a diamond blade kicking back and cutting a
man's neck is pure hyperbola, fiction, and prevarication. A

Hardly - a quick google will show that angle grinder fatalities are not
uncommon. In fact a builder died at a junior school local to me a few
years ago as a result of copping a diamond blade to the neck. He bled to
death on the scene in front of his son before medical help could get there.

Granted not all of these are the direct results of kickback as such -
but some form of loss of control of the tool or falling onto is
typically the cause.

diamond blade would be very hard pressed to cut your hand if you
ran it into your hand at full speed. They do an excellent job

There is good Makita safety video that quite nicely demonstrates the
common lower leg injuries that occur when a grinder with diamond blade
hits a typical bit of meat under clothing.

A diamond blade would be slower, but it would abrade all the way to
the arbor if it had a few extra seconds. Conclusion: All tools are
dangerous. Use care, use daily!

I have no idea what an alligator saw is. I've been in the
commercial contracting business for over 50 years so please
enlighten me as I may need one some day.

Its a reciprocating saw with twin counter moving blades.

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/p...s/catno/DW390/

Oh, I thought you were referring to the little electric chainsaw.
http://fwd4.me/OUH

--snip--
Your links refer to accidents which could have happened with any sort
of saw, not just a grinder.

--
Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
-- Andre Gide