Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that aemeijers formulated :
Wow- portable power tools for home use seemingly took a long winding
road in UK. (Maybe because of the different power?) All those tools
you described were available at realistic prices in the states by
late 60s early 70s- as stand-alone tools, not a 'Transformer' kit.
Most homes that had even a rudimentary workbench had a 3/8" drill, a
small saber saw, and a cheap circular saw. Sanders and such were
usually only purchased if the Mrs. was into furniture refinishing or
something. This was stuff for repairs and backyard construction of
kid-stuff, not for fine cabinetry.

The stand-alone power tools started to become affordable for DIY from
around the mid 80's in the UK. From around 2000 the prices have really
fallen, due to all of the cheap imported stuff.

My father's only power tool was a B&D drill from the 1960's, which I
know cost a small fortune when he bought it. It was beautifully made
and was still in pristine condition when I disposed of it a few years
ago - its relatively small chuck made it not very practical for modern
usage.

I still have my first drill, bought in the early '60s. Cost IIRC 11 quid -
pretty well a week's take home for me and I wasn't in a badly paid job.
3/8th chuck two speed B&D - all aluminium and painted blue. It still works
well - but I did have it overhauled at B&D in the 70s as I had a mate who
worked at the factory in Spennymoor? and at least the gearbox was changed
as that is now gold. Had a circular saw and jigsaw attachment for it -
both pretty useless.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW