Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Shopping for a Live Center?

"John" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
Thanks to the suggestions on a machining problem I posed in another
thread,
it looks like I need to buy myself a live center. My lathe is an Emco
Maier Super 11, which has a #2 Morse taper. It was bought new&
babied
since, so it's capable of doing very accurate work.

There are quite a few options, with a pretty wide range of prices. I
could
go with a $40 dual bearing model with no specified accuracy, up to a
kilobuck for a Royal toolmakers set with interchangeable points and a
TIR
of 0.00005".

I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks but I'd like to make sure I
get
the most bang for those bucks. I'm leary of Chinese stuff unless I
get
more than annecdotal info that a certain brand is OK. I like the idea
of
interchangeable points, but assume you have to pay serious bucks to
maintain accuracy with such a setup.

The floor is open..

Thanks!

Doug White

Just in case you run into a fussy old fart, like meg, be aware that
the
traditional meaning of a "live center" is one that is driven under
power.
In
other words, a headstock center.

A ball-bearing center for use in the tailstock is a ball-bearing dead
center.

You won't have any problem using the term the way you're using it,
unless
you get an old guy on a bad day. d8-)

Ed,

Relax and go out fishing, The striped bass are running big time.

John

Fishing from shore, you can hardly get a bait down through the blues to
get
at the stripers. I've given up on them, and I'm in no mood to go out in a
boat.

But we're catching a lot of blues at the Cliffwood Rock Wall, just above
Keyport.

Ed,

I should have taken a ride to the shore and wet some bait.

John

There's not much action on the surface yet, John. It's bait fishing on or
near the bottom. Most of us are using chunked bunkers. Stripers are hitting
bunkers, too. They prefer the heads. Or use clams.

If you try the west end of Raritan Bay, the fish are there from about an
hour or two before high tide to an hour or two after it. It's a fish every
15 minutes or so, and they're running from 2 pounds up to around 10. Bigger
ones are being caught out in the Bay, up to 18 pounds.

Stripers are still being caught on the west end, but I think most of the
striper action is out around the Highlands and up along Sandy Hook.

--
Ed Huntress