Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Shopping for a Live Center?

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Just in case you run into a fussy old fart, like me g, be aware that the
traditional meaning of a "live center" is one that is driven under power. In
other words, a headstock center.

A ball-bearing center for use in the tailstock is a ball-bearing dead
center.

You won't have any problem using the term the way you're using it, unless
you get an old guy on a bad day. d8-)

I've always heard of the bearing center called live and a solid center called dead.

But when a solid center is in the headstock, it is indeed live as in rotating with its
support and solid centers with lubrication have been used in the tailstock that is a fixed
support.

Bored Ed?

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller