Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2010 11:25:02 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
I have one of these on the shelf in the garage, but the drill gave up
(the day I just bought several new blades for it, of course).
It worked well for 10+ years, before dedicated circular saws were
available at affordable prices. B&D had a load of drill attachments
of that form. My father also had the circular saw one, but also the
jigsaw and the hedgecutter attachments (and probably some I've
forgotten).

Somewhere I think I also still have the Vertical Drill Stand and the
Horizontal Drill Stand (aka bench-grinder conversion tool)!

My father had the B&D circular saw attachment and the finishing sander
attachment. I inherited them and used them for a few years.

When I finally got around to buying a Bosch circular saw, I wondered
why on earth I had struggled on with the clunky B&D attachment.

As Andrew alluded to, because of the prohibitive cost back then. I can
remember my parents buying their first (and only - Mum still has it!)
B&D drill in the early 70s. It was a 2-speed hammer job, and IIRC it
cost 30-40 GBP, which would be worth probably ten times that in todays
money. They certainly weren't a common part of people's household stuff
as they are today. Presumably other portable power tools must have been
similarly priced, accounting for the plethora of attachments you used to
buy for them. God it was a PITA always swapping them over though!

David