Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

On Sat, 15 May 2010 23:23:02 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 15/05/10 22:27, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 18:26:42 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Me too. But if you tried washing by hand (I did when on holiday in
Latvia - washed my clothes in the river!), you may find that the
washing machine *is* the machine you cannot live without ;-

My dear old mum refused point blank to get a washing machine. Had a gas
power copper boiler in the corner of the kitchen and a poser. Orginally
the boiler had a mangle on the top, I remember winding the handle as a
lad. The rubber on the rollers eventually perished and an upright spin
dryer was purchased. But she never had a washing machine.

Last time I did a costs analysis in England, food was the biggest bill
(family of 4),

snip
But the 2nd biggest cost after food was actually Council Tax

No car? Groceries are our biggest bill but following close behind is
the car. Energy and council tax fight over 3rd.

2 actually. But SWMBO commutes by train (no driving, we live pretty much
next to the station) and I only use it for dump runs and DIY pickups and
days out. I fill up maybe every 2 months.

And one of the lowest costs was healthcare! .-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org