Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:29:56 -0400, Lou wrote:

That's true. According to the user manual for my dishwasher, the most
efficient cycle uses less than 6 gallons of water to do a full load.

However, for the cost of the dishwasher, it's possible to buy enough
water to float a boat. In my municipality, the water department
calculated that filling my pool (approximately 20,000 gallons) cost
about $20. So the price of a lower end dishwasher costing around $300
would buy around 300,000 gallons of water at that price, which is enough
water to wash an awful lot of dishes. But then there's the cost of
heating the additional water washing by hand would use over what the
dishwasher uses.

Your understandably US-centric view omits the fact that, for many in the
UK, a flat charge is paid for water.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org