Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

Transition from "American Dream" living to "3rd world country" living.

Do dishes by hand.

Buy the ingredients for food and make it yourself instead or eating at
restaurants or buying frozen dinners. Search for frugal recipes.

Take showers instead of a bath, turn off the water while soaping up, and
take showers only when necessary. Maybe skip showers on weekends if you are
not going out. Fewer showers in the winter, but of course two showers in one
day might be needed in the summer if working out in the hot sun - just what
is needed is the idea.

Don't see the latest movies, be content with the old movies. Disconnect
cable TV. Instead buy old VHS tapes at yard sales. These are selling for 50
cents each at yard sales now in my area. For $30 a month, you can begin to
acquire a very large collection of VHS tapes. (Use the cable TV money
instead for this.)

Instead of heating/cooling the entire house, just heat/cool one room. Living
room during the day, just bedroom at night. Of course on very cold evenings,
keep the whole house (especially bathrooms/kitchen) warm enough so pipes
don't freeze).

Go shopping once a month. Have 2 of each item like ketchup, mayonnaise, etc.
When you run out of something, use the 2nd item, and write it down on the
list. Then you only need to go shopping once a month. Then go to the least
expensive store, buy generic items rather than name brand. Saves on
gasoline.

Also buy the newest most energy efficient "Energy Star" appliances. I bought
a new refrigerator which reduced my electric bill by $15 a month. That paid
for itself in 5 years.

Lean to add....
$15 x 12 months = $180.
$180 x 5 years = $900.