Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Craigslist murderers

In article , Evan wrote:
On May 12, 9:20=A0am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
harry wrote:

Comparative statistics here USA/Rest of the world:-
http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/...S/GUNSTAT.html

As I say nasty violent place. =A0Also world leader in exporting
terrorism.

The higher number of gun-related deaths in the US is mainly due to two
causes: suicide, and inner-city gangs shooting each other. =A0Law abiding
American citizens with guns are not the problem.

Jon

Bull... PERIOD... Most of the "law abiding" gun owners are accidents
waiting to happen... Why do you think there are now very specific
laws on how and where you can store unattended fire arms...

Mostly because of a small number of fools that can't figure out how to store a
gun safely, and a larger number of fools who believe that the act of passing a
law prohibiting something will magically prevent that something from ever
happening again.

Why do you think trigger locks are mandatory ?

Beats me. They aren't mandatory where I live.

Too many "law abiding" citizens have guns which were involved in
terrible accidents -- i.e. children found the gun and bullets and played,
children knew where mom or dad kept the key to the lock box the gun was kept
in, or a gun safe with an easy to guess combination...

There are over 300 million people in the United States. In 2006 (the most
recent year for which I could find statistics) the total number of deaths due
to accidental discharge of a firearm was 642.[*]

Sixty percent of these were adults over the age of 24. Only 54 were children
under the age of 15.[*] Of course, that's 54 too many, but it's still a very
small number: forty times as many kids died in automobile accidents.

Seriously...

You are more likely to get killed in public in the United States by a
car accident than gun fire, even in those dreadful inner cities plagued by
gang violence...

Absolutely true. The ratio is about eighty to one.

In addition to motor vehicle accidents, each of the following kills more
people every year in the U.S. than firearm accidents: (not an exhaustive list)
- falls (over 20K people!)
- drowning
- fire/smoke inhalation
- accidental poisoning
- complications of medical and surgical care
- hernias
- bronchitis
- pregnancy and childbirth
- kidney infections
- influenza
- asthma
[*] Source for all statistics cited: U.S. Centers for Disease Control
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr57/nvsr57_14.pdf