Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O[_2_] Greg O[_2_] is offline

Default Combining compressors

"sparky" wrote in message
On May 13, 5:34 pm, stryped wrote:
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Sure. Where I was employed we ran 3 150hp compressoers into a 4
inch line to get enough air to supply the plant.

It will work just as well with smaller compressors as long as the
pressure switches are set somewhat near the same setting.

Why do the compressors need to be set close to the same setting? Stagger the
settings and let one be the lead compressor, and the second compressor will
run only if the pressure continues to drop. That is the way we did it years
ago at a shop worked at. We set the first compressor to come on at 150 PSI,
then the second at 140 PSI. The second would rarely run. Every few months
one of us would grab a screw driver and switch the settings so the second
compressor became the lead.
Greg