Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Combining compressors

I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 13, 5:34*pm, stryped wrote:
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Sure. Where I was employed we ran 3 150hp compressoers into a 4
inch line to get enough air to supply the plant.

It will work just as well with smaller compressors as long as the
pressure switches are set somewhat near the same setting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

find the blasting cabinet that you want to use, and look in it's specs on
how much air you have to provide (psi & cfm). buy that sized compressor. you
don't need 3 phase for a blasting compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-13, chaniarts wrote:
stryped wrote:
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

find the blasting cabinet that you want to use, and look in it's specs on
how much air you have to provide (psi & cfm). buy that sized compressor. you
don't need 3 phase for a blasting compressor.

My understanding that the small size blast cabinets require 15 CFM,
which means you need a real 5 HP compressor. No three phase
necessary.

The OP can run two compressors, but he needs to be mindful of their
duty cycle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can the electrical service to your garage take the load of all the
compressor hp you will need? You'd have to assume that they all could
try to start at the same time, doubling the current draw, or more!

You say "a" trailer frame. If you mean only one, then maybe you'd be
better off simply getting a big air supply tank and waiting for it to
pump up from time to time.
Since you mention that you don't have 3 phase power, you could
consider using a rotary converter to make your own 3 phase power, if you
do have significant power available.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

stryped wrote:

I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"sparky" wrote in message
On May 13, 5:34 pm, stryped wrote:
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Sure. Where I was employed we ran 3 150hp compressoers into a 4
inch line to get enough air to supply the plant.

It will work just as well with smaller compressors as long as the
pressure switches are set somewhat near the same setting.

Why do the compressors need to be set close to the same setting? Stagger the
settings and let one be the lead compressor, and the second compressor will
run only if the pressure continues to drop. That is the way we did it years
ago at a shop worked at. We set the first compressor to come on at 150 PSI,
then the second at 140 PSI. The second would rarely run. Every few months
one of us would grab a screw driver and switch the settings so the second
compressor became the lead.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Make sure the air from each is the same phase or they will cancel each other
out and maybe tear a hole in the space-time continuum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?- Hide quoted text -

I am talking about a pressure pot type blaster, not a blast cabinet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?- Hide quoted text -

Arent those expensive? I have 100 amps to my garage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Make sure the air from each is the same phase or they will cancel each other
out and maybe tear a hole in the space-time continuum.

Or if you're only doing the very occasional large object. Rent a tow
behind compressor for a couple days.

Or buy a gas powered smaller one and use it as needed. I have a nice
18HP one that I picked up at an auction. Works great when I need air
away from the shop.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

100 kW three phase diesel generator.

http://ocala.craigslist.org/tls/1746198834.html

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you are looking for a bigger compressor, instead of ponying those
little ****s together, I have a Quincy 5120 compressor for you. Looks
like 1980s vintage. The head alone weighs appx. 800 lbs. No tank.

It is pictured here

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Tinley-Park/

It has a spin-on oil filter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I assume that the V-twin design is much better for cooling, and likely
extends the reliability of pumps for air compressors.
Siamese cylinder designs still have good reliability if designed properly,
but my guess is that separate cylinders and heads can run cooler.

I just picked up a V-twin model yesterday, but the pump's a lot smaller than
the Quincy 5120-A in your pics.. probably in the 5-7.5 HP range (depending
upon model).
It is a complete air compressor, 60 gal, vertical model.

--
WB

"Ignoramus13240" wrote in message
If you are looking for a bigger compressor, instead of ponying those
little ****s together, I have a Quincy 5120 compressor for you. Looks
like 1980s vintage. The head alone weighs appx. 800 lbs. No tank.

It is pictured here

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Tinley-Park/

It has a spin-on oil filter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Having a competent, experienced sandblasting business do large items is
probably going to be a lot more practical.

First, only the rusted areas need sandblasting. Removing paint with blast
media is costly and impractical, when paint stripper will do the job that's
needed.

If there is original paint on major areas, it's better to use that as a
primer coat, as many home shop refinishing jobs won't adhere as well to bare
steel as a factory finish, which was probably baked on.
Scuffing/sanding most original factory paints (not epoxy types) properly
prepares it for refinishing.

I'm aware that media blasting provides an excellent surface for primer
adhesion, but only under the proper conditions. A primer coat (or cold
galvanizing coating) should be applied as soon after blasting as possible
(the same day), and again, under favorable conditions of temperature and
humidity.

Choosing a brand of refinishing products that offer users a complete
Refinishing Guide is a wise choice (even if the guide has to be purchased).
Guides contain needed personal protection, safety and preparation
information.
A good guide will provide instruction about which products are used for
different applications, and should be like a short training course in proper
use of the various products (mixing, temperatures, air pressures and much
more).

--
WB

"stryped" wrote in message
I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-20, Wild_Bill wrote:
I assume that the V-twin design is much better for cooling, and likely
extends the reliability of pumps for air compressors.

It is better for cooling, definitely. This head is very large, and
weighs 800-900 lbs. It is like two 390 heads in a twin configuration.

Siamese cylinder designs still have good reliability if designed properly,
but my guess is that separate cylinders and heads can run cooler.

They have much greater cooling area and suffer less from vibration.

I just picked up a V-twin model yesterday, but the pump's a lot smaller than
the Quincy 5120-A in your pics.. probably in the 5-7.5 HP range (depending
upon model).
It is a complete air compressor, 60 gal, vertical model.

340 pump is 5-10 HP (depending on RPM and top pressure)
325 pump is 3-5 HP

If it is a Quincy V-twin head in this size, it is likely to be a QT
head.

I had a twin headed 5 HP CUrtis compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Knotted wire cup brush. I gotta get my trailer painted soon too.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-24, Wes wrote:
stryped wrote:

I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer
frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount
of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one
compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Knotted wire cup brush. I gotta get my trailer painted soon too.

Spent 2 hours with one yesterday. Fully cleaned a 100 gal diesel fuel
tank. Welded stuff to its legs. Then cold-galvanized.

Combining Cold Air Returns Chris Gulka Home Repair 2 August 2nd 06 02:38 AM
Combining Cold Air Returns Chris Gulka Home Ownership 2 August 2nd 06 02:38 AM
Combining Co-ax cables david UK diy 6 January 3rd 06 12:27 AM
Combining two 30-amp lines? [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 March 15th 05 09:05 PM
Combining two 30-amp circuits [email protected] Home Ownership 9 March 15th 05 08:23 PM