Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement of old MAIN all-fuse panel with a circut breaker panel

On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:02:44 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

UMM... No, removing the meter from the socket is NOT the only
way to kill the power... Doing it that way requires doing your
project
according to when the power company is willing to have technicians
come out to pull it and what time period that same day they would
have people available during business hours to restore your service
by putting the meter back in...

Licensed electricians will kill power to replace a power panel by
undoing the connections from the service drop wire coming from the
utility pole to the wires going into the service weather head...

No L.icenced electricians will NOT generally disconnect the LIVE power
drop from the post to the meter. That makes less sense than replacing
the panel live. They WILL pull the meter. And usually they WILL also
put the meter back on and call the power utility to replace the seal -
quite often done at the same time as the "inspection" which is
required - often along with a "permit"

If there is no connection there the electrician can cut the wires
at that point and reconnect when the work is done using metal
butt splice connectors with set screws to remake the circuit...
The connectors are then wrapped with many layers of electrical
tape (the good expensive stuff with a high dielectric rating like
Scotch brand) and your power is restored...

Except all that has to be done LIVE.

You are not an electricaian, obviously.
I'm not a LICENCED electrician either, but my dad was, and I worked
for him a lot as a kid.
~~ Evan