Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Replacement of old MAIN all-fuse panel with a circut breaker panel

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

If you do things in the common sense order, the result will be as
expected. If you scramble the sequence, such as removing the tire
before you jack up the car, you can expect damage, death, and no
free flashlight.

I'm all for DIY- and have done stuff that everyone said to leave to
the pros. But the risk/reward on replacing an entrance panel doesn't
make it sound like a good idea to me.

Yeah, but things can go terribly, terribly wrong in replacing a tire, too
(like not tightening the lug nuts).

Two years ago we got a bid to replace a 200-Amp distribution panel.
$1250.00!

After buying all the parts (retail, at Home Depot), my son and I spent a
leisurely Saturday afternoon on the case. Admittedly, we had to make two
additional trips to HD for overlooked gizmos to finish the task, but the
out-of-pocket expense came to $320.

We saved $900 (not counting the beer).

Aside from the smoke, the thing's been working swell ever since.