Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce Esquibel[_2_] Bruce Esquibel[_2_] is offline

Default DLP projector lamp.

wrote:

The 'halo effect' cause and cure has been well documented (including
pictures) on AVSforum.com. Curing it is not for the inept, but anyone
with basic mechanical skills, some alcohol, and q-tips can fix it.

One comment about this repair, if this is the one...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148792

I'm finding it hard to believe it's a catch-all solution for that halo
problem.

The reason I say that is, the halo problem I had just wasn't there all the
time. Never within the first hour or so of use and some nights it didn't
seem to be present at all, like it just went away. Even the wife remarked
maybe the set fixed itself.

It's just that although I can see some kind of film forming on the lens (for
whatever reason it forms) that can cause the problem, seems like it would
always be there, maybe to different degrees depending on the iris action,
but still be there.

Weird.

-bruce