Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Suggestion for 24V/120V relay to control new outlet?

On May 11, 3:12*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:49:48 -0700 (PDT), horizon

wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on a 24volt relay with contacts that can
handle 120V, 7 amps. *I'm looking to install it to control a new 120V
outlet that is going in an attic and needs to be controlled by a 24V
signal to turn it on. * So, I'm looking for one that is cost effective
and can be mounted in some simple type of wiring box. *If it can go in
the same box as the outlet, even better. * *I'd like to make this code
compliant and do it right. *Plenty of space is available as I can
mount just about anything on a stud in the unfinished attic.

Thanks for any input.

Try something like this

http://dale-electric.com/search.php?...facturer=&keyw....

The RR7 is a good choice
It has a turn on and a turn off coil and latches in the last state you
put it in. You control this with a momentary contact SPDT center off
sw.

I controlled a relay like this powering the coil with only 9v
batteries. Since there is no hold-in current required you can put a
capacitor in parallel with 3 9volt batteries and use a couple of push
buttons to control it. The batteries will last practically their shelf
life.

Jimmie