Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

On Tue, 11 May 2010 22:48:56 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2010 16:24:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

I've recently started doing electronic repairs (mostly wiring) and need to
shrink heat shrink tubing. A long time ago I bought a heat gun used for
removing paint and used that. It was 120 volt, so I left it when I moved
here.

I've never had much luck (or is it patience?) shrinking it by holding it over
a soldering iron tip. Using a flame, like a cigarette or stove lighter
ends up with burnt plastic. :-)

I always use a kitchen match, a wood match about 3 inches long. A
couple boxes of them are very cheap.

It usually comes out perfect. Sometimes I need to use more than one
match to make it tight.

Once in a while I burn the tubing a little, but it's never seemed to
weaken it. I'm sure I only turn the surface black.

I guess this is just soot from the match, based on a couple other
posts. Need I clean it off?

I hold the wires horizontal and move the match back and forth, with
the tubing within the flame, the match 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the
tubing. It shrinks quickly.

I've finished reading the thread and it's amazing to me the problems
some have. I didn't want to use a hair dryer because I didnt' want to
heat more than the tubing and I don't like the noise.

Maybe you all don't have kitchen matches so you've never tried them?

Is there such a thing as a small heat shrink tube shrinker that does not
toast the things around it? The largest thing I need to shrink over is
about 1/2 an inch most of them are small (20awg or less) wires.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.