Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default OT Vacuum pump maintenance / repair

.70...

interesting stuff snipped ----------

Quick answer -- no... you can't tell with mechanical gauges.

LLoyd

interesting post - I wonder if where you live matters

I have repaired a number of cars where the AC system is empty - mostly 944s
in fact - swap the seal on the pump put in some of the new oil for R134, and
fill - works fine. on one that exploded a hose in 130 deg weather, just
replaced the hose (a few weeks later), and it worked fine. Never saw any
moisture effects. So, why does your experience differ? could it be a drier
climate, or could it be something else? Note, I am not questioning your
advice/report, it makes perfect sense, I'm wondering why I can get away with
not doing all that stuff?