Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestion for 24V/120V relay to control new outlet?

I'm looking for suggestions on a 24volt relay with contacts that can
handle 120V, 7 amps. I'm looking to install it to control a new 120V
outlet that is going in an attic and needs to be controlled by a 24V
signal to turn it on. So, I'm looking for one that is cost effective
and can be mounted in some simple type of wiring box. If it can go in
the same box as the outlet, even better. I'd like to make this code
compliant and do it right. Plenty of space is available as I can
mount just about anything on a stud in the unfinished attic.

Thanks for any input.

I was going to suggest a typical boiler relay like Taco SR501, but then
I saw both John Grabowski's, and gfretwell's replies, which make even
more sense. I don't know the one John suggested, but if you can live
with the amperage rating, it's a nice self contained unit. The rr7 that
gfretwell suggested, does need a 24 volt power supply, but it has a high
amperage rating, and those relays will last forever.

*Roy I recently discovered these when a customer asked me to fix his
closet light. I thought that it was a nice compact unit that is made to
fit in an electrical box. It can also be used to replace relay switches.
The OP didn't mention what the load consisted of so I threw it out there
for him to decide if he could use it or not.

It is a sweet little relay. It's kind of like the electric heat relays
only smaller. I've been buying from Tequipment recently, in fact I just
got a couple of proximity voltage testers today, and I got my last pair of
Klein lineman's from them. They have incredibly low prices, and being in
NJ the shipping is quick

*The customer service at Tequipment was very good when I called for the
relay. I was going to drive down to pick it up, but the woman on the phone
said it would ship out the same day I called and I would have it the next
day. Sure enough I received it the next day. I will check out their prices
for tools.