Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Suggestion for 24V/120V relay to control new outlet?

On May 11, 2:49*pm, horizon wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on a 24volt relay with contacts that can
handle 120V, 7 amps. *I'm looking to install it to control a new 120V
outlet that is going in an attic and needs to be controlled by a 24V
signal to turn it on. * So, I'm looking for one that is cost effective
and can be mounted in some simple type of wiring box. *If it can go in
the same box as the outlet, even better. * *I'd like to make this code
compliant and do it right. *Plenty of space is available as I can
mount just about anything on a stud in the unfinished attic.

Thanks for any input.

What are you attempting to automatically control with the relay ?

What is the source of the input control signal ?

The most difficult issue for you is going to be finding an enclosure
which isolates the line voltage side of the relay from the low
voltage...

Depending on what you are using for your control input you might
want to find a relay that is made by the same company as the
rest of the equipment in place... It would also be a good idea
to obtain information from the OEM asking them if using the
equipment with an external relay is safe and won't interfere with
the normal operation just so that whatever accessory you are
going to be controlling via the relay won't void a warranty or
something like that if external relay terminals aren't provided...

~~ Evan