Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Isn't there a burning bush in your vicinity?

The problem is that fairly high temperatures are needed, well above what a
lighter or hair dryer put out. Lighters, in particular, will burn the tubing
before shrinking it.

One workable solution is to use a hair dryer, and block the inlets with a
sock. This causes the outlet temperature to rise to the "shrinking" point.
There's a catch, though... The hair dryer will "overheat" (natch -- that's
the idea) and shut off. If the dryer doesn't have a resettable fuse, you
won't be able to use the dryer again.

A few years ago I bought an inexpensive heat gun, which worked well. A bit
of scrounging might turn one up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html
$19.99 regular price. On sale for $9.99 at times.

I received their weekly e-mail right after I posted. It is on sale
for $7.99 with the coupon below:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...7/images/2.jpg

Here is the user manual:

http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...6999/96289.pdf

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.