Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DLP projector lamp.

In article ,
Bruce Esquibel wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Are their any other symptoms of an aging DLP lamp other than reduced
brightness and possibly colour temperature?

I've had a Mits 73" for four years now, the 1st bulb that went out
seemed to produce a "gassy" picture for about a day and half before
failing completely. The brightness was reduced (although not much) but
there was sort of a fog on bright colored objects.

The second bulb didn't do that but there was a hint something was going
wrong for a couple weeks, it tended to have a light strobe effect in the
background, very noticable when the set was first turned on.

The 3rd bulb didn't show any symptoms, just didn't work anymore.

If you have a Mits and are getting that halo effect (sort a ring around
bright colored object) it's probably the light engine. I've had that
replaced also.

Hasn't been the most reliable set by a long shot. Next failure besides
the lamp it's getting **** canned.

-bruce

Interesting. Mine is a Sagem 45" rear projector, and the symptoms are
ghosting on movement and a weird lack of detail especially on black and
white films. Faces especially. It's most noticeable on terrestrial digital.
HD from satellite seems much better. Trying the same STB into an LCD set
doesn't show these artifacts.
The actual lamp is over 5 years old - so doesn't owe me anything. But
being quite expensive don't want to change it if it's something else.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.