Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:59:30 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2010 16:51:06 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
The problem is that fairly high temperatures are needed,
well above what a lighter or hair dryer put out. Lighters,
in particular, will burn the tubing before shrinking it.

If you need more heat than what a blow dryer will do,
the HS is defective.

Not likely. A hair dryer hot enough to fully shrink tubing would
probably burn your scalp.

Maybe HS has has changed recently or perhaps blow dryers are wimpier
now being designed for people too stupid to hold it at a reasonable
distance.
I only use the stuff occasionally and haven't in about 7 years.
Previously, I never had any trouble using a blow dryer.

I use a pistol-style hair dryer _plus_ a 'cup' formed from several
layers of aluminum foil. Create the cup using the barrel of the blow
dryer as the form -- making it with 2 slots running down opposite sides.
Lay the splice/whatever on the bottom of the cups with the wire(s)
entering through the slot(s). Use by placing the blow dryer just part
way into the cup -- allowing the "blow" to flow out of the cup. (Use a
blow dryer with a bimetal overheat reset -- not an overheat fuse.)

WFM

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux