Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

In article , wrote:
I've recently started doing electronic repairs (mostly wiring) and need to
shrink heat shrink tubing. A long time ago I bought a heat gun used for
removing paint and used that. It was 120 volt, so I left it when I moved
here.

I've never had much luck (or is it patience?) shrinking it by holding it over
a soldering iron tip. Using a flame, like a cigarette or stove lighter
ends up with burnt plastic. :-)

Is there such a thing as a small heat shrink tube shrinker that does not
toast the things around it? The largest thing I need to shrink over is
about 1/2 an inch most of them are small (20awg or less) wires.

The old BIC will work fine if you got the touch.
There is also a BIC gun, actually one of those slim lighters.

There is a cheap tool out there. Its like a big soldering iron.
Blows maybe 300 watts with a small footprint. The Ungar
I have been using for 25 years has steadily gon up in price,
over $100. Rediculous. Something like shown on this page,
as well as all the rest.
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/HeatGuns/heatguns.htm

I paid $20 for mine at a local hardware store.
I still had money for a beer.

greg