Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement of old MAIN all-fuse panel with a circut breakerpanel

On May 10, 10:24*pm, "MIB" wrote:
If you are asking this question, then I can only presume that you should not be
doing
the work. *Hire a qualified electrician to "side job" it for you.

Some utility companies will do one free dis/reconnect without questions, or a
permit.

If you must do the work yourself there are insulated, mechanical terminals that
may
be used to facilitate the easy dis/reconnection of the pre-meter conductors.
They
are manufactured by Polaris. *If you have not done a live splice before, forget
about
it. *Is your life worth a shortcut?

They make a cheaper product than this one, but this gives the general idea:

http://www.polarisconnectors.com/pdf...ghting_Connect...

Again, if you don't know what you are doing and need someone to hold your hand,
don't
do this. *After the work is complete you may leave them on or have the utility
company
come out and "properly" connect the service. *That's your call.

As for removing the meter and working on the post meter wiring, some of the
seals may be
cut in a fashion that will allow repeated removal and installation of the seal,
thus providing
the same ability for the meter itself. *Do the work and play dumb if questioned.
Though,
as someone else suggested, it would be a good idea to upgrade your meter main to
larger service, but this makes me ask, "does the meter not have a disconnect?"

I have not been doing a thorough read of this topic and might have missed some
information
that you have presented. *So, forgive me if I am a bit presumptuous or seem to
be speaking
without all of the facts.

Number One: *Be safe and do it right. *It would suck to survive the install only
to die in a fire.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Home service
meters do not have a disconnect. Seals are not "reusable". You are
presumptuous to advice the OP he's not capable of handling this task
and then go one to give misinformed information.