Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a Vibratory tumbler be used to remove rust

Karl Townsend wrote:
Phosphoric acid is a better choice. It leaves a surface just like a primer
coat on the metal. Actually retards further rusting. its the active
ingredient in many rust products from naval jelly to rusty metal primer. Buy
it as "lime away" for $4/gal at farm fleet stores.

Would that be "Runnings Farm & Fleet", "Norby's Farm Fleet", "Blain's
Farm & Fleet", "Mills Fleet Farm", some other farm fleet unknown to
Google? Just what does the "fleet" part refer to? Truck fleet? How
did farms & fleets come to be associated? Just curious.

Anyhow, none of these farm fleet stores have "lime away", at least that
they'll admit to on the web G. Trying to find it gets worse: there
is a "Lime A Way" (3 words) that's sulfumic acid & "Lime Away" that's
phosphoric. And the places selling them don't always get the name right
(different manufacturers). Worse yet: it's "Lime Away" on the MSDS at
the manufacturer's, but called "Lime Way" on their product list:
http://ritekem.thomasnet.com/viewite...r=10&forward=1

About the only place I could find Lime Away (Way) was at the
manufacturer, Rite-Kem. Where they had 4 gallons for $64. $4/gal is a
REALLY good price - I got a gallon of plain phosphoric acid for $15 from
a local dairy farmer & have never seen much better online.

But I much prefer muriatic - it's faster & keeps forever. The
phosphoric crystallized and became ineffective (after couple years(?)).

My $.02,
Bob