Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

On Mon, 10 May 2010 21:50:08 +0200, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

Whatever way you heat it, use teflon shrinck tubing.
You cant increase its blackness, and it shrinks to 1/3rd dia.
And does not melt/burn until over 450 degree Celcius.

350C for most PTFE formulations. 450C will set paper on fire.
The shrink ratio varies from 2:1 to 4:1.

The stuff gave me problems until I finally read the instructions.
There are different types, that require different temperatures, cool
down periods, and handling:
http://www.texloc.com/hs_home.html
See the various "how to shrink" sections at the bottom.

However, the results are worth the effort. The PTFE tubing is far
more flexible after shrinking. With a 4:1 shrink diameter ratio, I
have few fit problems. However, I found that it becomes brittle when
overheated or cooled to quickly. Going too slowly is also a potential
fire hazard when working with flammable cables.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D