Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

If you're referring to 2-wire AC power cords for double-insulated
applications, you might want to look around for cooking appliance cords with
a very rubbery covering.

These are a specific type of heat resistant cord, intended for moderate
current (not light duty) heat generating appliances like roasters, waffle
irons and similar units.
These cords wouldn't get stiff even if placed in a freezer.. like real
rubber, not plastic.

I'm regularly annoyed by various types of signal connecting cords that are
so stiff they keep their original bends even after use.
I keep finding USB and video or low voltage cords that are a nuisance to use
because they're extremely rigid, more like poly air hose than a low voltage
cord.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
Hot air gun with an assortment of tips and adapters. If you need to
protect other components, just block the air flow with some aluminum
foil.

However, one stupid problem. I bought two ACE Hardware hot air guns:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1310859
which work well enough. However, the power cord is VERY stiff. The
gun is quite light and the spring tension of the cord frequently
causes the gun to move when placed on the table. As the tip remains
hot for quite some time, having it move by itself around the table can
do some serious damage. I've ruined the plastic on several devices
before I was forced to build a holder (tin can screwed to a wood
board). Normally, I would normally suggest finding a hot air gun that
has a reasonably flexible power cord, but that seems to be difficult.
I've looked at various equivalent hot air guns and all seem to have
VERY stiff power cords.

High end heat guns, such as:
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1944LCDK
don't have this problem, and add much better temperature control, but
cost much more than I want to spend (about $150).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D