Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I've recently started doing electronic repairs (mostly wiring) and need to
shrink heat shrink tubing. A long time ago I bought a heat gun used for
removing paint and used that. It was 120 volt, so I left it when I moved
here.

I've never had much luck (or is it patience?) shrinking it by holding it over
a soldering iron tip. Using a flame, like a cigarette or stove lighter
ends up with burnt plastic. :-)

Is there such a thing as a small heat shrink tube shrinker that does not
toast the things around it? The largest thing I need to shrink over is
about 1/2 an inch most of them are small (20awg or less) wires.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

Whatever way you heat it, use teflon shrinck tubing.
You cant increase its blackness, and it shrinks to 1/3rd dia.
And does not melt/burn until over 450 degree Celcius.