Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a Vibratory tumbler be used to remove rust

On Mon, 10 May 2010 22:55:09 +0100, "Dave H."
wrote:

"Ignoramus20711" wrote...
I brought home a Nova Finishing vibratory tumbler. It is a 1/2 cubic
feet, 1/3 HP model. I have a few uses in mind, but here's the first
one. I have a pipe vise that looks rather rusty. Can I disassemble the
vise and use the vibratory tumbler to just tumble the parts that are
small enough and should I expect them to look nice and shiny
afterwards?

If you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend electolytic rust removal - I was
pretty sceptical, so tried it on a small drill chuck that was rusted solid,
a couple of days in a washing soda (sodium carbonate) bath, chuck connected
to the -ve of a 12v DC supply (max. 5 Amps was all I had around), an old
steel exhaust clamp to the +ve as the "sacrificial" anode, and it's a) rust
free; b)freely rotating; c) back to the original steel surface (apart from
the pitting that was already there - nothing can replace the steel it
lost!).
Once it's cleaned up, oil/wax as normal after a bit of oven time to dry it
off, as the surface will be vulnerable to rust otherwise.

I did find I had to clean the crud off the anode fairly regularly, a quick
wire brushing every time I passed, but much more pleasant than messing with
strong acids etc! I'm told that a carbon rod works just as well but doesn't
fur up, so when I can find some I'll try that instead.

HTH,
Dave H.

I use a 5vt dc power supply. 11 amps and a square poly tub, with steel
plates series connected around the inside of the tub with a flat in the
bottom as well.

Hang Stuff from a rod across the top.

Ive done micrometers, mill bits, drill bits, lathe parts, old engine
parts from the desert and all sorts of Stuff.

Works pretty damned well. But you HAVE to make sure the part is totally
emersed..or it will etch a line along the "water line"

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.