Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_3_] Carl Ijames[_3_] is offline

Default Can a Vibratory tumbler be used to remove rust

We use a couple of tumblers at work mostly to deburr little 304SS brackets
and stuff, with cylindrical ceramic media 1/4" diameter with the ends cut at
a 45 deg bevel so the ends are pretty sharp. Twenty minutes or so rounds
the edges and smoothes everything out, and leaves the surface covered with
little "dings" that you really can't feel but can see. These are 1-4" by
1-4"-ish, 20 and 16 ga, sized pieces. If something is too heavy it drops to
the bottom and doesn't "tumble", so you will have to experiment with yours
to see what the limit is - I doubt if the vise body itself will work. I've
done some small pieces of hot rolled and cold rolled with scale and rust
(just before we were throwing away the media so I didn't get screamed at
:-)), and it took off the rust but didn't really cut the scale. Our media
won't go into small holes, but smaller media cuts a lot slower. Those flat
triangles would probably be better if you have small nooks and crannies.
Anyway, should work for the hardware but not the body and the moveable jaw.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"Ignoramus20711" wrote in message
I brought home a Nova Finishing vibratory tumbler. It is a 1/2 cubic
feet, 1/3 HP model. I have a few uses in mind, but here's the first
one. I have a pipe vise that looks rather rusty. Can I disassemble the
vise and use the vibratory tumbler to just tumble the parts that are
small enough and should I expect them to look nice and shiny
afterwards?