Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welder/generator

On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:12:30 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On May 10, 4:29*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Failure to use a proper transfer switch, and you screw up and harm or
kill a lineman...and you will be in jail,then court, then prison for a
rather significant amount of time.

Gunner

Around here they ground the power lines before working on them. That
would short out your generator.

jsw

Too bad no one taught Ronnie Adams that....

http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/a...php/t-711.html

Rotahand
07-13-2005, 07:39 PM
This is no prank. The lineman killed yesterday was working for Pike
Electric and picked up a line that was connected to someones house that
hooked up a generator and did not disconnect from the distribution
system. The linemans name was Ronnie Adams, age unknown. He had two
children and a wife. As far as I know he was from Louisiana. They are
trying to set up a fund for his family, but nothing I have heard of yet.
I will let yall know more as I hear of it. I wish they would really
teach folks the proper connection of generators, this was a really
tragic and preventable accident. Stay Safe and think about it before you
do it.

And an "almost"....

m_kohner
07-14-2005, 06:19 PM
another safety tip notify customers on the affected tap you are on that
the power company is there restoring power, i was working toronado
damage a while back a customer had a generator in a garage back feeding
through a 220 volt dryer recptace exhauste going through the dryer vent
we were 1 home down repairing the broken primary made all connections
had the cut out open and when we closed in....you guessed it....... a
nice quiet honda generator in a garage. no one injured, all the customer
had to do is kill the main disconnect.....take care be safe......P.S. I
drug up from pike today for some of my own reasons.....one less pike
rat...lol....mike

http://www.line-man.com/forums/index...ineman-killed/

http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/a...hp/t-5134.html
Polk County, Fl
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:12 AM EDT
http://www.polkcountydemocrat.com/ar...3632518688.txt
A Bartow electric department employee escaped a brush with death Monday
night when a downed line he was repairing became energized by a
homeowner’s generator.

Eddie Watson, an apprentice lineman, was grasping a line while wearing
leather gloves as he worked to repair a line that was brought down by a
falling tree in Monday night’s fierce thunderstorm.

When a homeowner whose house was served by the line started up a
generator, it sent a surge of power through the line, Interim Electric
Dir. Eschol Radford said.

The electricity went through a transformer, stepping up the voltage from
110 volts generated by the generator to 7,200 volts, the transmission
voltage. Usually, the transformer does just the opposite, stepping down
voltage from 7,200 to 110 volts for service lines to homes.

“He was lucky,” Radford said of Watson.

“Fortunately, he had a young guy, Scott Harrison, a lineman helper,
working with him. Scott knocked him off the line and probably saved his
life.”

Watson was rushed by ambulance to Lakeland Regional Medical Center, then
transferred to the Tampa General Hospital burn center “to keep an eye on
him overnight.

“Fortunately, he only had a couple of burns on his hands; he was really
lucky,” Radford said.

Watson was sent home on Tuesday, “and is doing really well.”

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost