Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a Vibratory tumbler be used to remove rust

On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:09:12 -0500, Ignoramus20711

On 2010-05-10, Steve Lusardi wrote:

Save yourself some trouble, get a plastic barrel and fill it half
full of muriatic acid 30%. Get another barrel and fill it half full
of a heavy concentration of Baking Soda. Degrease the vice, drop in
acid for at last an hour, maybe overnight. Remove, rinse with a hose
and drop in the soda barrel for an hour. Remove and hose down, blow
off the water with air and then oil. This works a treat, but be
careful, use rubber gloves and a face mask at least.

I have a bucketful of half diluted (appx. 10%) muriatic acid.

I could pretty easily dip the vise in it, indeed.

That will indeed work well enough. But it will take a while longer to
clean up.

Gunner

The answer is yes for a tumbler, but probably not for yours. I think yours is way to small. If you do, you must use the correct
media for the job.
Steve

"Ignoramus20711" wrote in message ...
I brought home a Nova Finishing vibratory tumbler. It is a 1/2 cubic
feet, 1/3 HP model. I have a few uses in mind, but here's the first
one. I have a pipe vise that looks rather rusty. Can I disassemble the
vise and use the vibratory tumbler to just tumble the parts that are
small enough and should I expect them to look nice and shiny
afterwards?

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost