Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement of old MAIN all-fuse panel with a circut breakerpanel

On May 10, 8:58�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Hat wrote:
I have installed CB sub-panels many a times with no problem because I
can disconnect the live wires at the main panel. �In the old house I
am fixing, I need to replace the all-fuse MAIN panel with a new CB
panel. �Do I need to contact the power company to disconnect the
juice, or is there another way of doing it? �I do not want to mess
with the 240 volt supply because it may hurt a bit (i.e., kill me).
BTW: how do certified electricians go about disconnecting �the live
wires before doing a similar job? �Thanks

"Disconnecting the juice" is accomplished, as others have said, by simply
unplugging the meter.

Whether you have to contact the power company, get a permit, have the work
done by a licensed electriction, make sure the work is inspected, submit
drawings and plans to the appropriate city office, or use only UL-approved
devices is a matter determined by your local rules.

In my case, a call to the power company was all that was required. They came
out within six hours (their standard), cut the seal, and read the meter.
When my work was completed, another call and they returned to re-seal the
meter (within twelve hours).

Hint: Label all the wires with numbered tags, noting the amperage of the
existing fuse serving the wires. Take several digital pictures. Do not have
the celebratory beer for a job well done until after the final "smoke test."

I certinally hope your replacing not just the main panel but also the
main service line and meter can. upgrade to 200 amps too this future
proofs your install......

pick a manel panel thats locally popular, for easy access to
replacement breakers.

and dont forget proper grounding