Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20711 Ignoramus20711 is offline

Default Can a Vibratory tumbler be used to remove rust

On 2010-05-10, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:09:33 -0500, Ignoramus20711
wrote:

I brought home a Nova Finishing vibratory tumbler. It is a 1/2 cubic
feet, 1/3 HP model. I have a few uses in mind, but here's the first
one. I have a pipe vise that looks rather rusty. Can I disassemble the
vise and use the vibratory tumbler to just tumble the parts that are
small enough and should I expect them to look nice and shiny
afterwards?

Of course. What will you be using as media?

The tumbler came with three different media. Some look like fish food,
kind of cylindrical pellets (one box more coarse and one box fine),
and some is triangular ceramic.

Id STRONGLY recommend against using sand. While it works very well..you
will find that that vise feels very Crunchy for a long time afterwards

I would tumble it all disassembled, each piece separately, but I see
your point.