Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Aloris AXA16 vs. AXA16N

On May 10, 8:30*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
As DoN suggests, there are several small tool posts specifically suited for
mini lathe use (Phase II, A2Z and other brands are available in quick-change
models).

I see that a couple of Aloris tool posts are stated as being for small
lathes the A2, and for bench lathes and jewelry lathes the MA (catalog page
26).
I didn't compare the dimensions of these models to the AXA, but it may be
worthwhile before obtaining several pieces of tooling that may not be what
you expected.

I consider the AXA/100 series posts to be too large for a mini lathe,
considering that mini lathe generally means the 7x10 models lathes from
China (7x10/12/14").
But then many small lathe users will do just about anything to elimate the
use of the *turret tool post originally supplied with the small lathes.

Setting cutting tool cutting edges to the correct centerline height isn't
extremely complicated, although is becomes tedious if different combinations
of shims are required every time a cutting tool is changed.

There are some very handy gizmos that were suggested to me by a friend years
ago, that eliminate the shims for setting centerline height of the cutting
tool in a turret tool post.
As I've mentioned before, the gizmos are fairly easily made, even on a small
lathe. I made my first set of them on my 9x20 lathe.
A short length of square bar stock (~2.5") is milled with a centered,
lenghtwise slot the same size of the HSS cutting tools. The slot is angled
in depth, so that at one end the slot is slightly deeper. The appropriate
depth of the slot will be more than half the thickness of the square stock.
The specific angle isn't very critical if one makes several gizmos with
slightly different angles.

As the cutting edge is likely to be different on various ground HSS cutting
tools, the gizmos allow vertical height adjustment of the cutting edge. The
cutting tool is placed in the slot of the gizmo (on the turret tool post),
and the cutting tool and gizmo are adjusted in/out to set the proper cutting
edge height. Then the turret's tool holding screws are tightened.
This method is almost as fast as a QCTP, and costs nearly nothing (an
endmill and some pieces of square bar stock).

I did see one 7x mini lathe modification recently where the user had milled
away the corners of the plinth on the compound slide to accomodate using an
AXA/100 series tool post, since the actual tool holder had to be adjusted so
low on the post (below the bottom surface of the tool post body).

I suspect that many small lathe users think a more rigid tool post will
improve the overall rigidity of the small, light duty machines.
A heavy duty tool post doesn't fix the relatively poor design of the
components above the cross slide.
The compound slides and their mounting bases found on the light duty small
lathes from China need more improvement than just bolting something new on
top of them, IMO.

I also suspect that many small lathe users consider carbide tooling to be
the proper tooling for these machines, and/or they can't be bothered to
learn how to grind HSS cutting tools.

I tend to think of the scale of a machine should determine which size tool
post is an appropriate match. Apparently, scale isn't a consideration for
many small lathe users.

The convenience of quick-change tool holders is attractive, but adding a
tool post with better features doesn't improve the overall performance of a
poorly designed machine.

FWIW, many 9x20 lathe users fit an AXA/100 series tool post on the compound
slide, or remove the compound for turning, and mount the QC tool post on the
cross slide with a shop-made riser block.

--
WB

"Searcher7" wrote in message

I had been putting off getting an AXA16N tool holder because of the
cost. So I was really disappointed when I missed the 30% off special
MSC had on Thursday and Friday. :-(

Nevertheless, it has given me more time to think about whether I need
it or not.

Since I have a Mini lathe which is not as rigid as the larger machines
I'd have to be careful what I use it on. My understanding is that I
can use inserts that have a chip breaker groove, but the push for me
to get one of these tool holder is that it'll allow me to get the most
out of each insert.(Six sides instead of three).

So until another deal comes around I'd appreciate opinions. Is my
logic faulty?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I wouldn't say the mini lathes are "poorly designed". They just have a
lower capacity than the larger lathes.

When Don and I discussed this years ago, he is the one who mentioned
my need for the modified compound to use my AXA tool post with.

My lathe is the Microlux 7" x 14". And it is common in the mini lathe
community to replace the OEM tool posts with AXA tool post on these
type of lathes. And the consensus is that it improves the overall
performance of the machines.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2280
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=1777

Again, HHS would be the norm, but I there are advantages to insert
tooling.

MSC is now offering another special. "Save up to 35% off all orders
over $199".

So I have to make a decision quickly. :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.