Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Replacement of old MAIN all-fuse panel with a circut breakerpanel

On 5/9/2010 9:47 PM, Hat wrote:
I have installed CB sub-panels many a times with no problem because I
can disconnect the live wires at the main panel. In the old house I
am fixing, I need to replace the all-fuse MAIN panel with a new CB
panel. Do I need to contact the power company to disconnect the
juice, or is there another way of doing it? I do not want to mess
with the 240 volt supply because it may hurt a bit (i.e., kill me).
BTW: how do certified electricians go about disconnecting the live
wires before doing a similar job? Thanks

pop the seal, remove the meter from the can, then when you get it all
back together, put the meter back in, and hang the broken seal on it.
Chances are, they never come out to read the meter anyway, and if they
do, they'll just put a new seal on it.

--
Steve Barker