Kevin P. Fleming

Default Lee Valley optical center punch

Silvan wrote:

I used to work in a copy center too, and I had to type peoples term paper's.
(Note, for those who are getting ready to hit the reply button with a
smartass gotcha comment, I said "peoples term paper's" on purpose. It's
called irony people.)

As Dave Barry wrote in a column a couple of years back, in common usage
an apostrophe is now a warning that "an S is coming". I have actually
seen them in the _middle_ of words where there is just no possible way a
rational person could think they belonged there. It's very sad.

What makes me even more sad is seeing signs, posters and advertisements
with these gross grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. In nearly
every case, these items were reviewed by at least one person other than
the writer, if not many more than one. If I owned a sign shop, I would
refuse to make signs for people with these obvious errors; my policy
would be that I'd fix them for free (if possible), and if they don't
like it they can go elsewhere!