Kevin P. Fleming

Default Lessons in Grammar: WAS Lee Valley optical center punch

LRod wrote:

But among my top annoyances is the misuse of your/you're, as well as
their/there/they're.

And here's another one (seen mostly on TV DIY shows lately): use of the
word "my" in place of "the"...

"I'm going to use my table saw now to cut this..."
"I'll add my turkey now to the pot..."
"I'll go over to my oven now and check the temperature..."

In the first place, in exactly ZERO of these occurrences are the objects
in question actually owned by the speaker, so the use of "my" is
actually incorrect. In spite of that, did we really think they were
going to add "someone else's" turkey to the pot? Or they were going to
use "someone else's" table saw?

This has unfortunately spread into common usage as well; my sister (over
30 years old) frequently says things like:

"I like to have my orange juice with breakfast"
"I'm going to Starbucks to get my drink"

Well, like, you know, DUH, of course it's YOUR orange juice, it came out
of YOUR refrigerator :-)