Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often
it exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a
tad under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice
middle range machine would be without going to one of those names that is
priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

HF and others, such as Lathemaster, also offer a 8x14 lathe.
It is reportedly much heavier and better made than the 9x20.
I have not seen one, and they are not as well known or supported, but
might be worth a look. I have seen them for under $500 new, but it's been
a while.
Still, there's those 20% coupons.

I found the 9x20 HF on sale in one of my catalogs for $300 off with fewer
accessories. Backordered on-line and 300 more than the sale price. At the
store was told it's a internet only item. The only 20% off coupon I have
found so far is in-store only. I'm just going to start putting aside a
little cash plan to order a jet.