Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool post
and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit bigger
also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice middle
range machine would be without going to one of those names that is priced as
much by name recognition as by quality.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite
often it exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to
be just a tad under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector
nozzle out of aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post /
cross slide assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very
handy for some small work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it
from The Little Machine Shop, and if I can figure out a way to
improve the rigidity of the tool post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a
nice middle range machine would be without going to one of those
names that is priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

Logan , or it's Wards alter-ego Powr-kraft . Well supported , and they
come up on eBay regularly , in all kinds of price ranges .
Mine's a Wards 10X31 , and other than parting/form tools and some boring
bar work it's as smooth as I could ask .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool post
and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit bigger
also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice middle
range machine would be without going to one of those names that is priced as
much by name recognition as by quality.

The Harbor Freight 9x20 bench lathe would be the next step up at
moderate cost. Wait for a 20% coupon and a sale and get a really good
deal. It's light years ahead of the little 7x10 in terms of power and
rigidity, and reported to be a decent machine if you spend a few days on
the initial overhaul and setup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often
it exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a
tad under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out
of aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice
middle range machine would be without going to one of those names that
is priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

Don't overlook used Taiwan-made Jet lathes.
I have a 10x24 and I've made all sorts of
stuff on it, including internal and external
single-point threads. It's a little more
noisy and a little more flexible than I'd like,
but it has always gotten the job done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Forgot to mention that it also gets you threading capability.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Actually my little 7 X 10 claims threading capability and it came with a
bunch of interchangeable gears for different thread pitches. My experiments
with that so far have not been as wonderful as I would like, but I am a
backyard machinist with zero education and zero professional experience in
machine work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

20% Coupon
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

This lathe?
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...the-45861.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Ok, how about "easy quick change threading capability"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Yep, that lathe. The stand is sold separately. It's a big step up in
capability from the 7x14, at a fairly small step in price.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I guess I'll have to wander by the local store and see what the in store
price is (if they have one), and if they will honor that coupon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

LOL. I can say that swapping the gears and getting everything lined up is
not a snap on this 7X10.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Yes, the instant in-store gratification and lack of shipping hassle is a
big plus. The fact that parts are available inexpensively, if slowly,
from HF is another plus.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The suggested 9x20" lathe may give a larger work envelope, however the
typical 9x20s from China have issues too.

The worst problem of the 9x20 (as far as effecting operational performance)
is a weak mount for the compound/top slide. With an improved mounting plate,
chatter problems are greatly reduced or eliminated. Some eBay sellers offer
CNC machined mounting plates.
Most of the other issues are fairly easily corrected by an initial tear-down
and cleanup, such as tightening or replacing cheaply-made fasteners.
Some 9x20 users have had problems with the skinny drive belt breaking, but
that wasn't a problem with the 2 models I've used.
There are numerous websites with good upgrade/improvement projects for
either model, as both the 7x and 9x20s are popular models.

I don't know where HF gets the idea that their 9x20 is a geared head
machine, but I haven't seen them. Yeah, gears are attached to the headstock,
but there doesn't appear to be any gears inside the headstock.
The earlier models were definitely not geared-head versions.. the only parts
inside the headstock are a set of tapered roller bearings and the spindle.

The major feature of the 9x20 is the quick-change gearbox for the leadscrew.
Other features/improvements over the 7x include metal change gears, larger
motor (although not variable speed), and possibly more accessories.
The accessories included from different dealers can differ quite a bit.

A much better quality lathe is most likely going to cost considerably more
than the commonly available Asian imports.

The Austrian Emco models are regarded as very good quality machines.

--
WB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice
middle range machine would be without going to one of those names that is
priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

The big headache for me with parts has always been finding the correct HF
catalog number. Usually I resort to contacting HF customer service.

As far as gratification. Eh!. At $103 for freight and I have to pay sales
tax whether I order it on-line or get it in the store even if it's a little
more in the store the net is still sometimes cheaper.

Now to go visit some customers, the bank, and HF.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Is Jet better than other mid price models? I notice they cost a little more
for tools the same size as some other manufacturers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Is Jet better than other mid price models? I notice they cost a little more
for tools the same size as some other manufacturers.

Once upon a time Jet was Taiwan manufacture. My Jet items are a big band saw and a
jointer. That is about 10 years ago, decent enough stuff.

Jet vs HF, I'd take a chance on Jet unless a bit of due diligence (googling your arse off)
comes up with something otherwise.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to comments I've read over the years, the major difference between
the Jet 9x20, and the generic models from various dealers, is that the
spindle has an inch-thread, instead of metric.
Another feature may be that the motor is UL approved, but I don't know how
much that means when many domestic USA motor brands are now made in China.

The generic Asian 9x20 models are capable of cutting the metric spindle nose
thread, although the thread chart doesn't show that they can.
There is an expanded threading chart in an old Dropbox annual archive.

As far as getting the most for your money, the included accessories will
probably be the best indicator.

After one makes a few improvements, and replaces the motor with either a DC
drive or a 3 phase and VFD, the 9x20 models are a decent benchtop HSM lathe.

And I forgot to mench, the head/tailstock tapers are the same as the 7x
models.

--
WB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Don't overlook used Taiwan-made Jet lathes.
I have a 10x24 and I've made all sorts of
stuff on it, including internal and external
single-point threads. It's a little more
noisy and a little more flexible than I'd like,
but it has always gotten the job done.

Is Jet better than other mid price models? I notice they cost a little
more for tools the same size as some other manufacturers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:15:50 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Is Jet better than other mid price models? I notice they cost a little more
for tools the same size as some other manufacturers.

Once upon a time Jet was Taiwan manufacture. My Jet items are a big band saw and a
jointer. That is about 10 years ago, decent enough stuff.

Jet vs HF, I'd take a chance on Jet unless a bit of due diligence (googling your arse off)
comes up with something otherwise.

Wes

Ive worked on a fair amount of Jet machinery in the last 5-8 yrs..and
its pretty decent right out of the box. Most of course is Chinese..but
its a higher level than most. Not hugely better, but decent enough.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice
middle range machine would be without going to one of those names that is
priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

If you are going to go with a Chinese 9x20 regardless of the name I strongly
suggest visiting the Yahoo 9x20 group. As others suggested, there is a lot
of work to be done on the machine to make it useable.

I have recently graduated from Taig to a 9x20 and have so far replaced
several parts including the dreaded compound attachment (there is a better
way than just making or buying a 4-bolt clamp - it's called a Pitkin Donut -
details on the group files). Having said that it is an OK machine for
someone like myself. I am enjoying the extra size and power. I went through
months of agonizing over the choice but in the end this is as big as I can
handle and probably need. Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7623585864057/

Hope this helps.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-03, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool post
and cross slide I will.

Unless the bed is a heavier casting it will probably flex more
than the 10" one.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit bigger
also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice middle
range machine would be without going to one of those names that is priced as
much by name recognition as by quality.

You might look for a used Clausing. I'm quite happy with my
12x24" one and it doesn't have the hobby market name attraction of the
South Bend, so you can probably find a much more affordable one, with
patience.

One thing to check when you find one is the bore through the
spindle. If it is 1-3/8", you can fit it with 5C collets and a closer.
If it is smaller, the collets which can be fitted to it will be smaller
as well, and much more expensive. 5C is common enough so there are
lots of makers, and thus some brands are quite affordable.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article . com, "Pete C." wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...riven-bench-la
the-45861.html

Yep, that lathe. The stand is sold separately. It's a big step up in
capability from the 7x14, at a fairly small step in price.

Since when does _more than double_ constitute "a fairly small step in price"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In article . com, "Pete C." wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...riven-bench-la
the-45861.html

Yep, that lathe. The stand is sold separately. It's a big step up in
capability from the 7x14, at a fairly small step in price.

Since when does _more than double_ constitute "a fairly small step in price"?

When the other options are 4x and up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-04, Michael Koblic wrote:

[ ... ]

If you are going to go with a Chinese 9x20 regardless of the name I strongly
suggest visiting the Yahoo 9x20 group. As others suggested, there is a lot
of work to be done on the machine to make it useable.

I have recently graduated from Taig to a 9x20 and have so far replaced
several parts including the dreaded compound attachment (there is a better
way than just making or buying a 4-bolt clamp - it's called a Pitkin Donut -
details on the group files).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7623585864057/

Hmm ... you know that now that you have fixed and re-faced the
faceplates, you can turn the concentric grooves back to depth too. They
are useful when centering a workpiece prior to clamping it in place on
the faceplate.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I have a 10x24 Enco, made in the 1980s.
Good machine. I use it most of the time rather than my Logan, which I
just sold.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often
it exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a
tad under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out
of aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some
small work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little
Machine Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of
the tool post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a
nice middle range machine would be without going to one of those names
that is priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

HF and others, such as Lathemaster, also offer a 8x14 lathe.
It is reportedly much heavier and better made than the 9x20.
I have not seen one, and they are not as well known or supported, but
might be worth a look. I have seen them for under $500 new, but it's
been a while.
Still, there's those 20% coupons.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

It is a good machine. I fitted an outboard 5C
collet holder to it and use that about 90% of
the time. I also tossed the garbage motor that
came with it and installed a 1hp 3phase motor
and VFD.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Jim,
What type of outboard 5C did you use?

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Mine came with a collet chuck, one of those that spins to lock.
That is one reason this lathe gets used more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Is it a 4C? Mine also came with an adapter and
drawbar for 4C, but I much prefer the 5C holder
that I fitted to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pilgrim wrote:
In ,
Jim wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Nice to hear from you, Chuck.

I just bought the cheapest plain-back key-tighten
holder that I could find on ebay. I had to make
the backplate as my spindle thread is a bit odd.
I can hunt down a pdf of the drawing if you are
interested.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

Pilgrim wrote:
In ,
Jim wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Maybe later.

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I found the 9x20 HF on sale in one of my catalogs for $300 off with fewer
accessories. Backordered on-line and 300 more than the sale price. At the
store was told it's a internet only item. The only 20% off coupon I have
found so far is in-store only. I'm just going to start putting aside a
little cash plan to order a jet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 May 2010 07:08:53 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I found the 9x20 HF on sale in one of my catalogs for $300 off with fewer
accessories. Backordered on-line and 300 more than the sale price. At the
store was told it's a internet only item. The only 20% off coupon I have
found so far is in-store only. I'm just going to start putting aside a
little cash plan to order a jet.

Can't remember where you're located anymore...

Wholesale Tool sells basically the same lathe. See:

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...the_WT_Import_

or for a bit mo

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...the_WT_Import_

They have several locations, maybe something not too far away?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jet - HF Mini Lathe - Ready To Step up Already

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've got an HF 7 x 10 mini lathe and its actually done ok. Quite often it
exceeds the workability of the materials, but I found it to be just a tad
under powered yesterday when I was roughing an injector nozzle out of
aluminum. It could also stand a more rigid tool post / cross slide
assembly. I don't plan to get rid of it as its very handy for some small
work. In fact I plan to get the 14" bed for it from The Little Machine
Shop, and if I can figure out a way to improve the rigidity of the tool
post and cross slide I will.

However, I am looking for something a little better and a little bit
bigger also. I'm not made of money and I was kinda wondering what a nice
middle range machine would be without going to one of those names that is
priced as much by name recognition as by quality.

The more I look into it the better the Jet looks. Comes with lots of stuff
including a stand, chucks, centers, steady rests, and free shipping. The
net price for comparable HF or WTT just doesn't add up when you add in a
stand and freight. I guess I'll be getting a Jet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

If you are talking about the 9x20 lathe, you may not like the stand.
I bought one of those stands locally with the intention of mounting an
Atlas 618 on it. That stand was made for a midget!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Ditto. And for a 10 lb lathe. I did not dare to mount the lathe on it. Watch
out for the 4-jaw chuck: If it is the old version like came with mine it is
a pain. You will be replacing it soon.

Free shipping is good...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I need a thread on tip for a Ready tool co live center - anyone wanna trade for some large lathe tools? William Noble Metalworking 0 September 22nd 07 05:03 AM
Step up from mini-lathe/mini-mill Usenet Metalworking 14 April 20th 06 06:31 AM
Mini Metal lathe vs mini wood lathes - for pen turning Makin Sawdust in So. FLA. Woodturning 1 November 24th 05 05:25 AM
Best mini-lathe Ecnerwal Woodturning 2 November 2nd 04 12:57 AM
craftsman 109.20630 mini lathe -- my first lathe!! yay!! drew j. Metalworking 5 November 22nd 03 12:46 AM