Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default Flexible printed cable - repairable?

Fridge freezer controls have gone awol, turns out the connection between
the fascia switch pcb and the control pcb is one of those printed
flexible cables, like pcb tracks on a flexi substrate. This had been
installed badly and squashed, so I think some of the tracks have been
broken (the cable creasing is obvious, but actual breaks are not).

Anyhow, the replacement part is the whole fascia - £250. Gulp.
(expensive German appliance, no warranty). All for the sake of a stupid
2p cable.

I can get at the cable before the creasing starts, and have clear access
to the control pcb end, but the joint the other end between cable and
the fascia switch pcb is not accessible. So I can't just solder on
something more fit for purpose at that end, and would have to cut the
existing cable and pick up the traces somehow, and add an extension to
replace the creased bit.

Anyone succeeded in doing anything like this?