Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Aloris AXA16 vs. AXA16N

On Sat, 8 May 2010 21:22:55 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

I had been putting off getting an AXA16N tool holder because of the
cost. So I was really disappointed when I missed the 30% off special
MSC had on Thursday and Friday. :-(

Nevertheless, it has given me more time to think about whether I need
it or not.

Since I have a Mini lathe which is not as rigid as the larger machines
I'd have to be careful what I use it on. My understanding is that I
can use inserts that have a chip breaker groove, but the push for me
to get one of these tool holder is that it'll allow me to get the most
out of each insert.(Six sides instead of three).

So until another deal comes around I'd appreciate opinions. Is my
logic faulty?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

My opinion and strong guidance, particularly on a small lathe, would
be to use HSS rather than carbide.

I have a fairly robust (1500 lb or so) 15 x 50 lathe with an Aloris
toolpost and I have a BXA16 toolholder, but the tool I use 95% of the
time is the Diamond Toolholder with 1/4" square HSS bits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUAPrkC7Q-Q
http://www.eccentricengineering.com....=2&Ite mid=17

I made an Aloris-compatible block to hold the DHH at the angle it
likes so the toolpost could be square to the spindle axis. That
enables me to pull the DTH and drop on other tools for boring, parting
and threading with no adjustment of toolpost angle necessary. Very
convenient!

It is nobrainer simple to grind the HSS bit with the fixture that
comes with the DTH, and it works very well on most materials. It can
both turn and face without changing tool position. With a bit of
radius on the corner, I get very good finish.

I use the DTH on everything from plastic to stainless.
I only use carbide on really hard stuff like CTA (chevy truck axle).

The AXA16 would be a better choice if you intend to take aggressive
blue smoking chip "production" cuts in stainless -- but a minilathe
is not nearly rigid enough for that to work well. Carbide likes both
aggressive and fast, HSS is better-suited for smaller machines and
more patient machinists.

Carbide is great for production, HSS is much better suited for small
machines and model shops or home machinists. HSS takes a sharper edge
than carbide can, so it cuts with less force that deflects both
machine and workpiece. One grinds HSS bits, rotates carbide inserts.

I don't think I have ever dulled a carbide insert more than it was to
begin with. They chip first. When they chip,even microscopically,
that edge becomes useless other than for very gross roughing.