Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Surgeons who know how to use concrete saws!

On May 8, 6:15*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd be thinking of a saw used by orthopedists to remove
casts. I've been in a cast, and had one of them used.
Interesting, actually.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

So I'm watching CSI:NY the other night. The CSI's determine
that there
is a body buried in a concrete slab at a construction site.

One of the characters is Dr. Sheldon Hawkes. Here's his
character bio:
"Hawkes is a Medical Examiner with the NYC Office of the
Chief Medical
Examiner (OCME). He was a child prodigy who graduated from
college at
eighteen, and by 24 he was a fully board-licensed surgeon."

Guess what? Hawkes is also pretty good with one of these:

http://www.arpielleequipment.com/pro...ges/cc6500.jpg

To extract the body and take it back to the lab, Hawkes gets
behind
one of those bad boys and cuts a perfect rectangle around
the body.
These CSI guys can do anything!

They take the huge slab back to the lab and Hawkes begins to
extract
the body with - ready for this? - a Dremel tool!

I was laughing my arse off.

I'd be thinking of a saw used by orthopedists to remove
casts. I've been in a cast, and had one of them used.
Interesting, actually.

I'm pretty sure that the concrete used to pour a slab is a little
tougher that the plaster (or whatever) they use to make a cast.

In some cases (like after I had surgery on my arm) they now use
ThermoPlastic to custom make splints right on the spot.

My therapist used a steam table to soften the material, but you can
run it under warm tap water and then bend it into whatever shape you
need.

My therapist made one of these in about 10 minutes, and molded it
right on my arm while it was still warm.

http://www.sammonspreston.com/conten...rge/A5174L.JPG

She let me have the scraps from the sheet she cut and I've used them
for jigs and temporary brackets. It's pretty neat stuff.