Thread: Illeagals
View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default Illeagals

"Bill Noble" wrote:

ok, the US army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine core, to start with

No. They have their green card. And if willing to serve and having served honorably, I'd
be glad to welcome as a new citizen.

###
The United States military is composed entirely of volunteers. While individuals are paid
for their service, the decision join the military is entirely voluntary. The branches of
the United States military include the Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and the Marines.
In general each branch has different requirements for enlistment, but there are some
standard requirements for all the branches. Only individuals who are U.S. citizens can
become commissioned officers in the United States military. Those who are considered US
citizens also include citizens of Puerto Rico, the Northern Marianas Islands, the
Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the
Republic of the Marshall Islands. Non-citizens are eligible to enlist in the military but
can not be commissioned. A non-citizen that is eligible to join the military must meet
certain requirements: (1) Have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (stamped I-94 or I-551
Green card/INS Form 1-551), (2) Have a bona fide residence established, and (3) Have
established a record of the U.S. as their home. Some non-citizens from countries with a
reputation of hostility towards the U.S. may also require a waiver. The federal government
cannot petition on behalf of an illegal immigrant so that they can obtain legal status and
be able to enlist in the military. In order for an immigrant to join the United States
military, they must first go through the immigration process of the USCIS (previously
known as the INS) and then and then begin the enlisting process. Another requirement is
that the Green Card and/or visa if the immigrant desiring to join the military must be
valid for the entire period of their enlistment.

http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/military.html

Wes