Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default floating tool holder - can we actually talk about metal working

On 2010-05-08, Bill Noble wrote:

[ ... ]

thanks - today, I was rearranging tooling and low and behold I have a self
centering (floating) collet chuck thingie - it is for taps - it has a tap
collet (with the square bottom) and a 3/4 inch shank - But, I don't see a
convenient way to use it to hold anything except taps, and I only have the
one collet (1/4) for it - it doesn't look like it could hold anything much
larger. So, I moved it from its previous hiding place to a new hiding
place near the taps, so at least if I need it, I have some small chance of
finding it.

Which kind of tap collet? The one used on TapMatic tapping heads
uses a small version of the RubberFlex collet -- two sizes cover all the
taps which fit that size.

Or is this the kind where you have a Morse Taper 0 adaptor to
hold a tap by the square and the shank OD?

next step is to figure out which size ER collets I have - maybe tomorrow....
Meanwhile, I am learning something from this thread - perhaps some others
are also.

Measure the maximum outside diameter -- in millimeters -- to get
the ER-?? number (or close to it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564